For years I have been hearing how the ethanol in gas has been causing all kinds of nightmares for people with outboard engines, or marine engines in general. I just never really ran into problems that most complain about, or I just never realized it.
I'm going to keep this short but thought it was worth posting up for dummies like me.
The other day I took my smaller boat out for the first time, I still had 3/4 of a tank of fuel from last year and no I did not treat it with anything for the winter. It started ok but was sounding a little rough, I did have one incident where I had to toss the anchor for a half hour let it sit before I could get the engine started, so after that little episode I thought maybe the engine could use a little attention.
I went to work on the problem and thought I would start with my fuel filter, but decided to empty it in a clear jar so I could get a good look, well SURPRISE...half the liquid in the jar was water, ok no problem I will go get a new filter and plugs.
I bought a new fuel/water separator filter and some new plugs,
I installed both and hit the river again with the boat, it ran but I had issues putting it into gear without it stalling etc.
I had a pretty good feeling I was dealing with the same issue of water in my fuel, so tonight I pull the new filter and poor it in a clear jar and SURPRISE half water, so I took a picture to share.
I did drain the rest of the fuel in the built in tank and have about 5 gallons of this fuel I have no idea what to do with.
I will now be treating my fuel every time I fill up. And to think this is only part of the problem the damage done to the rubber seals etc is a whole different issue.
The first picture on the top is the jar after just a little swishing around, the picture on the bottom is the fuel and water settled you can see the separation line clearly.

Posted Fri May 18, 2012 7:01 pm

welcome to the world of ethanol .i am surprised you havent had any problems before

Posted Sat May 19, 2012 4:11 am

Sorry to see that, I didn't know whether or not much of that was true. But I took the guys advice that we bought our boat from and always use Sta-bil Marine, and I do mean always. Every 2 fill ups I use double strength for extra cleaning. I'm thinking of changing over to Sea Foam, lots of guys recommend it, but I just don't know for sure. But good luck from here on out, and keep using the additive.

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Pure-gas.org lists all the stations that sell ethanol free gas. Unfortunately, there are none in CT. The farm lobby is pushing for E15, E20 and higher blends. At that point, you may as well scrap your older outboard. At least some corporate agro-businesses are getting rich from the subsidies.

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 12:38 pm

A guy I boat a boat from a few years back always filled up in VT with ethanol free gas.
I have heard very good things about Sea foam, I just bought a case of 24, 16oz cans for $173 bucks.
From what I can tell that was a pretty good deal at $7.20 a can
Confused

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 12:59 pm

could runnng the boat out of fuel before storage help. Is the fuel drawing in more water or seperating? I always store my 2 stroke bike empty so the oil and fuel dont cause all types of carb problems.

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 1:04 pm

angryjohn

could runnng the boat out of fuel before storage help. Is the fuel drawing in more water or seperating? I always store my 2 stroke bike empty so the oil and fuel dont cause all types of carb problems.

Ive heard two different opinions on that,
Some say run it as empty as you can get it.
(I never know when my next trip might be, since I sometimes go out in the middle of winter)
Other say to top it off. I guess in that case is where the additive would come in.

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 1:39 pm

i doubt that we will see E15 or E20 that would mean that we would have to junk every motor that was pre 2002.plus our fuel milage would drop like crazy

http://www.fuel-testers.com/list_e10_engine_damage.html

sea foam is the best, its been around forever,i remember my grandfather always useing it in the 60"s.i always used it with no problems
that a good deal you got.the closes one i could find is through amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Foam-Marine-Treatment-SF16-C2/dp/B0002ZVMQO

it is a double edge sword,whether to leave the tank empty or full
you leave it full,theres is a chance of ruining a large amount of gas,you wouls have to treat the gas for storeage,triple the amount of treatment.
you leave the tank empty,that when more conditation get in from heating and cooling,then you also risk of the carbs getting ruined from oxidation, sticking needles ,gaskets drying out

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Bigoutdoors posted..i doubt that we will see E15 or E20 that would mean that we would have to junk every motor that was pre 2002.plus our fuel milage would drop like crazy

E15 has been approved by the EPA for retail sale beginning May 1. While it won't be in all of our gas like E10, lobbyist for the industry are pushing to expand it's use. It sucks for engines, does nothing for gas milage or energy self sufficieny, but has a powerful political lobby for an industry receiving billions in government subsidies.

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 7:16 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links