Hit Hopeville again this weekend. Got a real late start because the family wanted to go and swim at the beach while I fished. On the water by about 8:30am and fished till 1:00pm. It was foggy at first then got nice and hot. Water temp was from 78 deg. to 80 deg.

The girls ended up staying on the boat for a while to wait for the sun. They were able to watch me land a solid 35" pike. My youngest (just turned 4) was screaming the whole time! She kept saying,"Daddy, you caught an Alligator!" Shocked It was pretty funny.

Dropped them off at the beach and returned to fishing. It was quiet for a while, then noticed my bobber had disappeared. I reeled up and set the hook, and I saw a huge head come out of the water. Less than a second later this pike completely cleared the water and got about a foot of air (which was alot considering it's size). That was the first time I've had one come all the way out. It jumped once more before I got it in the boat, and it measured 40"! Razz
This was one sickly looking fish, though. It had a number of wounds that looked like they were not healing very well, and it was really skinny. This was the oldest pike I have caught yet, but (unluckily) it swallowed the hook. That's probably why it was a jumper.

The fish did not make it, and was the third pike I have killed in my life, all this year. Crying or Very sad For this reason, I will not be taking pics of my fish anymore unless I have somebody w/ me. The cost is too high, and especially the big ones do not last very long out of the water. All three times I have retuned them to the water still alive, but they were unable to keep from floating belly up, despite all efforts to revive them.

Anyway, both were caught w/ pike shiners on top. I also had one on that broke my main line (again Evil or Very Mad ) which ate a dead yellow perch on the bottom. Here's the pics.

Posted Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Way to go on the pike AGAIN. That's a nasty looking one for sure.
Seems to me that place could use to lose a few of those big pike.
I understand your concern though, probably the heat is just too much for them this time of year.

Posted Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:03 pm

That is certainly an impressive set of outings Flipper! I have zero experience fishing pike (the grand total of one accidental catch), but can you fish them w/ circle hooks? They work on all kinds of big, boney salt water predators, and gut hooks are almost non existent. Don't know how they'd work with big pike. Anyway, kudos on another day of big fish!

Posted Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:55 pm

I was going to suggest the same thing,circle hooks that is. I use them fishing eels for stripers and occasionally I target big cats in the river using chunks. I don't keep many fish and don't keep any cats at all and as RNE said gut hooks are rare. They say that your hook up ratio will go down but that is not my experience. The hardest thing to get used to while using them is that it is not a traditional hookset. You won't hook-up with a fast jerk. Once you're sure the fish has the bait it is a long steady sweep with the rod. Depending on the size bait you are using I would suggest at least a 6/0 hook,maybe larger. Might want to give it a shot....................Also great fish you got there!

Posted Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:23 pm

I am actually a big fan of circle hooks, and had always used them before I started targeting pike. I actually started out using them and I still use them for other species, but the hookup ratio with pike is much worse w/ circle hooks (in my experience). Especially depending on what you are using for bait. Anything w/ any spines and forget it. I have never had this happen before, I think this pike was extra hungry and swallowed it right away. Usually they hit it and run a little bit before they swallow.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:19 am

I fish almost all salt H2O this time of year, but I may have to give this a go. I usually get out a few weekdays per week in the summer. If I caught one of those big things I'd be pretty happy.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:03 am

Right now is actually the hardest time to catch them. They are a cold water fish and usually go deep this time of year. The spring and fall are much better.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am

Definately on my radar. I started fishing steelhead in NY as well last year. Not the types of fish I grew up with.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:35 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links