Hit the river yesterday morning hoping to pick up where I left off last weekend and boat a few stripers. Those of you who watch these striper reports already know that the CT is very high and dirty but the fact that they are only here for a short time made me give it a shot anyway. So I picked up some eels and headed to Wethersfield only to find upon my arrival that the launch was closed due to the water being practically up to the road. Not letting that deter me I parked in the DMV lot,loaded up my equipment and dragged my yak down the hill. I paddled to the channel,fished that and made my way to the river. When I say I was the ONLY person there I mean that literally. I had the entire river to myself and did not see another boat until the afternoon when I was heading in. Being the weekend before Memorial Day Weekend it's unheard of not to see anyone at all. Now if I was able to report that I went out there and killed them,the fact that it was just me and the river would have made for one of the best days fishing ever. But unfortunately that was not the case. I soaked an eel with one rod and threw all the hardware I had,covering all depths of water with the other and not a single lineside. I did bend the rod once which in a way saved the day for me but it was one of the ever present cats that I seem to never have a problem finding. Not a bad fish but not the targeted species.

Posted Sun May 22, 2011 4:49 am

way to go bro..at least your out there trying..that's all it counts!

Posted Sun May 22, 2011 6:59 am

Nice cat Carpster, the river should be clearing anytime now, it has dropped a foot since you went out yesterday morning. I know your time is limited to fish but I did tell you where to go bud.

Posted Sun May 22, 2011 7:40 am

Yeah well I didn't listen. Me and El Pescadero headed south and hit it again yesterday. We got the skunk BIG TIME! Bait all over the fishfinder,fish too but not one taker. Not even a cat.

Posted Mon May 23, 2011 12:33 am

Nice report. I got the same in the Haddam area. The Salmon Cove launch was swamped, and I was amused by the few guys with bigger boats scratching their heads. I just launched my 14fter from the submerged parking lot at about 4:45am. Having missed last week, i was determined to at least get out. Nothing, nada, skunk. Bait was breaking at the mouth of the old outflow and the Salmon River mouth, but no luck with the stripers. Usually I do well below the bridge. Only had artificials, and I took a shot at a few fish I marked as well as trolled with no luck. I guess I wasn't surprised, but had to give it a go. Threw in the towel by about 7:30-8:00. Hoping by Wed/Thr evening to get another shot. Pretty soon be out in the LIS.

Posted Mon May 23, 2011 12:52 pm

On the advice of someone most would agree knows what he is doing (not all but most Wink) I headed north yesterday and gave it another shot...........again nada. And again, wall to wall bait but no fish.................This is getting a little frustrating!

Posted Wed May 25, 2011 12:37 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links