I need a new bay boat and am in the market. My wife said yes, so I can't let this opportunity slip past. I'm a CC fan, but with 2 younger kids I've been looking at some niced used walk-arounds in the 23'-25' range. Gotta be able to send them to read a book or watch a DVD when they tire of fishing! If anyone has any solid leads, PM me. I'm looking for safe, well maintained with reasonably low hrs. and turn-key ready. I'll have a surveyor inspect any potential sale, so if you pickled your engine during Irene or your transom is rotting away, or if it needs a lot of TLC, I'm not your guy. I'm not going to buy anything I can't put on the water first. If the perfect boat comes along, there is a good chance I'll buy this fall rather than wait 'til the early show season next year. If you've got a lead, LMK. I won't jerk around the seller unless I'm ready to make an offer.

Thanks,
Brian

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:52 pm

There are some pretty nice rigs on CL fitting what you are looking for.
But then again if you are talking sea trial, and inspection for a 10-12K boat that might be more difficult but not necessarily.
Just a few key things you need to decide is do you want a in/out or outboard, 4 stroke? trailer? shore power? How new?
In my opinion a 25' is not a bay boat, depending on the rig of course.

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Want something I can run to Block or Montauk when it's decent, and has a cuddy for the kids. Want a walk-around as I do a lot of light tackle, and don't want to completely lose the ability to fish around the boat. Need a trailor as I would likely take it a few places on vacation. I've always run outboards, but looked at a 23ft. with an I/O that was in immaculate shape. The hull was an older 1984 Sea Ox, a manufacturer that dominated the commercial market in the Outer Banks in the 80's. Had a '96 or '97 Mercury fresh water cooled inboard and lots of extras. I'd like something a bit newer, but for $300-$400 I can have an older boat surveyed before I buy. Shore power would be a big+, as I will likely keep it docked. If I go this route, I'd keep the Gemma Rose for the river and lakes. I've looked at more true bay boats, center consoles with hulls I could run up into skinnier water (more in line with my fishing), but the kids have led me to look at the cuddy cabins. I know there are a ton of boats out there right now.

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Do you get the Fisherman mag? There is a clean looking Striper WA in the August 16th issue. . They do not list the price however {that may not be good news} #49 is the listing.

As far as the engine is concerned I am fond of the out boards. The reason being there is very little maintenance. The I/O can require some attention. Having the engine in the boat does take away some deck space as well.

Thanks for all your advice in the past and I look forward to seeing you out there on some of those not so perfect days!!

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:05 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links