Im curious as a inland fly fisherman, is their a possibility to catch flounders on a fly, if so anyone know the tactics and approach as to catching them?

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:17 am

Although I have caught numbers of Fluke on flies, I have never taken a flounder with feathers. The majority of Fluke have come when sight fishing flats for stripers. The Fluke come off the bottom often beating the striper to the fly. I have occasionly targeted them on purpose when I knew there was a strong percentage of finding fish. This method requires alot of search casting in areas with little boat traffic.
My best Fluke to date on the fly rod weighted about 6.5 lbs. on a Boca. My son's girlfriend hooked, fought and landed a fluke last summer that we weighted just under 8 lbs on a commercial scale. that fish was taken off Napatree Point in less than 10 feet of water while fishing for stripers.
Most of my fish come on flat wing Decweivers in either gray/white, all white or olive.
I know several fly angers that target Fluke off Fishers Island and in the shallows off Gardiners Island.

Posted Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:49 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links