Just wanted to know if anyone had any info before I start tinkering with this. I got an 1995-96 Evinrude 24v trolling motor last year with the foot pedal. It worked fine until the very end of september, the motor will not spin when the switch on the foot pedal is pressed and if you leave it alone for an hour and try again it works but if you let go of the pedal it won't work again for a while I think it might be the switch the batteries, charger, plug were all fine?

Posted Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:45 pm

I have no experience with trolling motors at all...but the symptom sounds like it is the switch like you thought.
I think the switch has poor contacts causing it to heat up and possibly warp and breaking contact, once it cools it goes back into position.
My 2 cents

Posted Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Could be a circuit breaker. If not I like Lungs suggestion.

Posted Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:21 pm

That's a thought Hertzy...maybe they have a safety in the circuit and it is auto reset. Once it cools off it resets itself and runs again.

icasillas once you have it to where it will run, does it matter how long you run it??? 2 seconds turn it off and won't turn back on??
Or does it run let's say 1 to 5 minutes then wont turn back on??

Posted Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:28 pm

I didn't hold it down to see how long it would stay on for, I Held it down for maybe 30 seconds but I'll try the switch first and see what happens. Thanks guys.

Posted Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:24 am

I would check all connections. wd-40 keeps connections from corosion displaces moisture prevents shorts. If possible try bypassing foot pedal switch to see if it might be the pedal itself if possible..

Posted Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:11 am

Understood will try, thank you very much sir.

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:25 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links