With the need to scratch the itch to do some groundfishing, yesterdays weather appeared to be the best choice.
Me and Skipperj9 jumped on the Eastman's boat for the day trip, we left the dock at 7:00 and arrived at are first stop at about 9:15. I had a $5 bet with Matt for first fish in the boat, dropped the jigs down 300' and within 10 seconds we both were hooked up, my fish decides it doesn't want to cooperate and would rather battle, Matt drops his fish but quickly drops back down only to hook up again. In the mean time I am still screwing around with my fish, Matt wins the bet when a small pollock comes over the rail, I soon followed but my 15 pounder, had to be the only time I was not happy to boat a nice fish and would have rather it been small.
Fishing was excellent nice steady action all day except when we made a move to try for some Haddock ..that bite never happened so back to the pollock we went.
We had to send quite a few beautiful cod fish back to the depths.
It wasn't all fun and games though, I did run into a streak of bad luck for a bit. 3 different times I had nice large fish on 3/4 way up when I would be involved in tangles with someone else who would have a fish on and each time by the time things were straightened out my fish would be gone of course, and one time was extra special not only did I lose the fish but the boat had drifted close enough to some lobster gear which I managed to get snagged on and lost that jig. One other memorable moment was when I was swinging in a fish a bit larger than I should of been swinging and just as the fish clears the rail my rod snaps OOooops
Now I know why I always bring 2 outfits. Despite some of the calamity it was a beautiful day out there for the end of November and we left the fish biting. Some pictures of the day.
Oh and guess who I saw out there...fishing on a small 6 pack private charter...Mr tbob himself

Heading out

A nice cod that was safely returned to fight another day

SkipperJ9 with one of his 6 cod he caught

The fish that cost me $5

I didn't do a very good job of getting our 3 totes of fish,

Heading home

Last edited by aqualung on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:57 am

It was very kool seein you out 28 miles at sea and being close enuf once to yell back and forth!Glad you were able to go and sounds like you guyz did quite well!Being on a 6 pak I do NOT have specific numbers for you but just as well since you were fishin with Matt and we all know how he counts fish!So to finish off our socalled "battles" of 2010 we shall say we tied for High Hook and be happy for each other!!!!!Good job Lung!!!

wheres your pics?

Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:39 pm

Geeezzzuuuussss thanks for reminding me tbob, I meant to add the photos to the post.

Don't get wishy washy with me, like you didn't count your fish because you were on a 6 pack...I knows you much better than that!!

Anyways we both had a great day to be out there and left the fish biting!

Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Now that I seen the pics......just as I thought.....he counts 2 for 1.

Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:14 pm

tbob55

Now that I seen the pics......just as I thought.....he counts 2 for 1.

What ever makes ya feel better, as I mention there were 3 totes full of fish and add all the cod we had to return to the water it totaled about 60 fish, I will admit we did not have an exact number.

Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Nice Cod Lung! Good picture too, you look like a young guy! Wink Hey TBob, How'd you guys do? Should I get ready for some fillets?.......................TBob, I gotta agree with Lung on that one. I seem to remember you ALWAYS count fish!

Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:02 pm

carpy....we had community totes we were using....i was catchin so fast and furious there was no way to keep track!....usually when with Lunger I use a stringer to get a good count at end of day.....and yes I will call you wednesday afternoon to bring you some eats!

Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:24 pm

tbob55

i was catchin so fast and furious there was no way to keep track!....

Now that there is some funny chit

Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:58 pm

tbob55

.....and yes I will call you wednesday afternoon to bring you some eats!

WooooHoooooooo! Thanks Bob!

Posted Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:42 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links