Hit a spot with skipperj9 the other day using tongs in stonington.
We did good, was great to get out....I would say about 20 lbs is what I/we each ended up with.

Posted Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:25 pm

Very good Lung, I'll be in Niantic this coming weekend. We;ll be launching my inflatable and I hear it's good up there for steemers and couhogs. I'll keep ya posted.

Posted Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:07 pm

more than that, AT LEAST 25-30 lbs a piece

Posted Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:10 pm

Good deal Jeepin, please do let me know how you make out, I been wanting to try Niantic.

Hey 25-30 LBS??? I must of got the small bucket
Oh that's right, I split them up

Posted Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:55 am

Went to Niantic today. We got steamers and filled a 5 gallon pail in less than 3 hours. I'm not sure of the poundage but it took 2 of us to cary it! I had brought garden rakes but just happend to be talking to a guy who lives near by who doesnt go clamming any more and he went home to get his. It was new and un used so I gave him $16.00 for it. I thought I'd be digging on sand bars like I did once in Chatham Mass but we were in up to 2 feet of water. Not a problem as the water was warm and clear. The clam rake with a basket made all the differance! Got back to the marina and cooked them up in a Turkey pot. We used the salt water and added cellery and onion for flavor. There was almost no sand in the clams! I'm going back soon!

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:51 pm

Awesome jeepin, so you ended up with strictly steamers right??
I have one of those clamming rakes with the basket somewhere around here.
Nothing like sitting back and enjoying shellfish that you have harvested yourself, not to mention how fresh and tasty they are.

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:00 pm

Yea, we didnt get any cohogs but we did get these bi valve clams too. The shells looked like wings and the clams had 2 necks! They taisted the same as steamers.

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:06 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links