I planning on upgrading my yak. I feel in love with the Ocean Kayak prowler 11t, but kinda pricey! $899, but did see Bass has them online for $799.

Was looking at the Ascend FS 12t at Bass pro. It seems comparable to the prowler "as far as specs go", but would sacrifice storage and the ability to add a rudder.

I could almost buy two of the Ascends for the price of the prowler, and I do want to get one more, so the four of us can go out all at once.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. It got decent reviews, but I don't know, or heard anyone owning one.

Thanks!

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:20 pm

Here is the link and specs on the Ascend.

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12T-Sit-On-Top-Angler-Kayak/product/10213830/-1681287

Great kayak packed with features for fishing-minded kayakers
12'L x 31''W. 56 lbs. Maximum weight capacity: 350 lbs.
Advanced computer designed, hydrodynamically shaped hull
Made from the highest quality virgin high density linear polyethylene
Large open cockpit design
Ergonomic, cushioned, and adjustable seat and five-position foot rests
Versatile storage in cockpit, multipurpose sternwell, and dry storage hatch in the bow
Dual position, quick hold bungee paddlekeepers
Threaded, sealed drain plug and multiple drain holes
Dual flush mount rod holders
Fully adjustable, light tackle rod holder
The Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler Kayak is a stable, functional, and comfortable sit on top kayak packed with features for fishing-minded kayakers. The FS12T starts with an advanced hull design that utilizes an extended keep with performance rocker and strakes to deliver the maneuverability, tracking, stability, and easy paddling fishermen want to get to their favorite spots quickly. A large open cockpit area includes the ergonomic Adjustable Cushioned Seating System for comfort, five position foot rests, deep position cup holder, large catch-all tray big enough for a standard-sized tackle box, and other work areas. The FS12T's dual flush mount rod holders make transporting rod and reel combos easy, while the fully adjustable, light tackle rod tender holds your rod with 360º of horizontal adjustment and vertical rod tip adjustment. Large 18'' x 10'' dry storage hatch in the bow provides storage for dry bags and other gear. Dual quick hold bungee paddlekeepers let you set your paddle down for a quick rest or a quick cast. Built-in multipurpose sternwell gives you a convenient storage space large enough for a 5 gallon bucket, dry bag, or other gear with a built-in bungee to secure your gear. Multiple drain holes in the sternwell and footwell areas. At the end of the day, the threaded and sealed drain plug allows you to quickly drain excess water, while the four molded-over rubber grip handles make carrying the kayak easier. 12'L x 31''W. 56 lbs. Maximum weight capacity: 350 lbs.

Ascend™ Kayaks deliver a unique mix of stability, functionality, and comfort to kayakers of all skill levels. Designed to give you the highest quality gear at the best possible value, Ascend kayaks are made from superior materials with state of the art manufacturing processes for top durability and performance. Every Ascend kayak is packed with user friendly features, like advanced hull design, performance grip handles, multipurpose sternwell, open cockpit storage, and more. It all comes together to make Ascend kayaks ideally suited for beginning kayakers, weekend paddlers, anglers, and experienced adventure kayakers alike.

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:22 pm

There's only two things about the Ocean that I like better than the Ascend. The adjustable foot rest, and it looks like more storage options. The ascend looks alot like my MantaRay which is Native Watercraft now, but I bought it when it was a Liquid Logic. Otherwise, I think the price makes the call, but the one I use now is the only one I have experience with, so I'm sure there is more input coming for you hertzy!

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Yeah, the storage and the foot rest are what I don't like about it too. On the prowler, it has that "rod pod" that would be excellent for tackle. The prowler also has adjustable foot rests, and can add a rudder. The price of the Ascent is very hard to pass.

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:30 pm

Just did some research on that yak. Don't do it! I'll tell ya why and offer suggestions when I get in from work. Running late,gotta go!

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Thanks carp! look forward to your thoughts. I got a few others that I'm looking at. I'll list them later tonight.

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:54 am

carp13

. . . I'll tell ya why and offer suggestions when I get in . . .

I'm listenin' too. Never know when I might decide to upgrade.

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:52 am

Okay Elon here it goes. First, all you gotta do is google the name of that yak and you'll see that there are a handful of complaints on different message boards that state that the hull material is too thin and deforms easily. That right there is good enough for me to keep my$400 bucks in my pocket. Second, you mentioned that you would like and could really use a rudder. Third, there is a reason that not too many people (including myself) have ever heard of them, because no one buys them or fishes out of them! There must be a reason for it. And lastly. The way I see it you already got your starter yak. You rigged it up nicely,enjoy it immensely but crave more. If you buy that Bass Pro yak you're still going to want more than that thing has to offer. A yak is a one-time expense for the most part. Once you have it rigged the way you like it, that's it. There is nothing left but to enjoy it. If you enjoy kayaking as much as you say you do I say go out and buy EXACTLY what you want so there will be no regrets and no more upgrades down the road. As for the kids. I wouldn't go out and buy brand new yaks for them right off. You really have no idea how much they're going to enjoy it or if they'll stick with it for any length of time. There are always plenty of nice used kayaks on Craigslist and you could probably pick up a couple of them for what that Ascend retails for. I'm tellin ya Hertzy go out and get what you really want the first time or you're gonna be sorry!.................And when you start b*tchin about that P.O.S. next time we go paddling (if you buy it) I AM going to say "I told you so!" Wink.............................................................Here's a link to one of the boards http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/kayak-forum/choosing-a-kayaknewbie-questions/833-bass-pro-shops-ascend-fs12t-sit-on-top-angler.html ........................also if money is tight you can't go wrong with an Ocean Kayak® Scrambler XT Angler Edition Kayak, it only costs $50 more at BPS than the one you're looking at and it is a highly recommended and time tested hull design not to mention that it is an OK..............another thing about that Ascend,it's not roto-molded (one piece). It's two pieces (top and bottom) fused together which means cheaper to make and it also means that at some point the hull WILL LEAK!

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks for the info carp, I'm sure hertzy will say the same! Nice save. My new moto: "Seeing is nice, but the proof is in the touching" or something like that, I'll come up with something a little more poetic later. When I got home from work, just out of curiosity, I put my yak in the draveway, keel up, and stood on it and it was able to hold my 200 lb plus dead weight.

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:52 pm

Well, I wrote up a long reply, and my Internet got timed out and it got lost! Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Hate At&t Internet!!!

I did read that hull issue Carp. I was a bit concerned about that. I think your right and just get one I will be happy with for years.

Here are the other yaks I'm looking at.

One is the Emotion Mojo angler.

http://www.emotionkayaks.com/HTML/Kayaks/mojoangler10.html

Dicks has the Shakespeare® Angler 120 Kayak "same thing as the mojo"

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3857689&cp=4413993.4417832

The other is a Perception sports.

Dick's has a 12 footer

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4018040&cp=4406646.4413993.4417832

And Gander Mountain has a 12.5

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=420899&pdesc=Perception_Sport_Caster_12_5_Angler_Kayak&aID=504M2&merchID=4006

The Mojo is about the same as the Prowler, so I may scratch that. Not to mention Emotion is actually who make my Coleman. I would think the more expensive yaks are made better and perform better, but I have no idea.

Now that Perceptions look like great yaks and are cheaper than the prowler, but looks comparable.

Let me know what you know, or have heard about those.

The one ace in my hand with the Prowler, is the local shop, told me they would put it aside and do a lay-a-way deal.

If I decide to just go with the prowler, as soon as I can get $500 to $600, I'll go down and put it on it.

As far as the second kids yak, I never intended on getting two of the Ascends. I was just trying to make the point. Actually I want to get another one like got for trading my old plastic bass hunter boat. It's a cheapo Potomac 10 foot sit-in. Dick's sells them. They have them for $230, but I have seen they for $175 from tie to time. With two of the same, one kids yak will be better than the others! LOL

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11449468&cp=4406646.4413993.4417832

It is truly a cheapo yak. I had it sitting on two saw horses and in this heat, it warped under it's own weight! LOL It popped right back out. Very Happy

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Oh! I did see that Scrambler. I like the price, but the lack of storage and the fact that it's an inch narrower than my Coleman.

The same goes with the Endeavor. It's actually two inches narrower. Ocean dose not list the Endeavor in the catalog, so I' guessing they make it specifically for Bass Pro.

Both look like solid yaks, but I want stability over speed.

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Emotion and Perception are both name brand kayaks. Just because Emotion made your Coleman does not mean they are substandard. All that means is when Coleman wanted to market a kayak they did not want to invest in an assembly line and contracted Emotion to build it so they could slap their name on it. If anything it makes the Coleman a better yak rather than making an Emotion a cheaper one. Perception is better known for their touring and sea kayaks rather than their fishing yaks, But that would dictate that they definitely know how to build a fast hull design. I actually saw the Emotion Mojo Angler at Cabela's in the spring. They had 2 of them already rigged with anchor trolleys and rod holders. The plastic hull is very sturdy and I remember thinking that they seemed like a very good value for the money. The sliding console seemed very convenient as you could slide your fish finder/rod holder back out of the way while paddling. The Perception looks like you would have to mount all of that very far forward. But with both of those, the retail price ain't a whole lot less than the Prowler. Get the Prowler!

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:53 am

Good point about the Mojo. If you ever see a Spitfire, that the same yak as my Coleman. You make a very strong argument about the Prowler. Huh, maybe you should get a spokes person gig for them! Very Happy LOL I'll have to see what I can sell, and go fro there. I may go down in a few weeks, and test drive the Prowler. One thing I worry about it, is the rod pod location. I did read a few reviews, saying the pod is bothersome with your legs. I would like to see how comfortable or uncomfortable it is before I decide.

Thanks for all your thoughts! Oh BTW, the scupper plugs you gave e work great! Not a single drop of water! Thanks again.

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:07 am

No problem,glad they worked out for you. But by all means,go ahead and paddle as many yaks as you can/care too before buying. Reading reviews and looking at pictures is one thing but paddling can be quite another. I'm really not pushing you towards the Prowler,well maybe a little. I just want to see you get into a really nice yak. One that you won't regret purchasing later. Generally speaking the top 3 fishing yak makers are Ocean Kayak,Wilderness Systems (the Tarpon line) and Malibu. (not going to include Hobie here because it's a different animal entirely) Again generally speaking,Tarpons are the fastest,least stable. Malibu's (Stealth and X-Factor) are the most stable and slowest. And Ocean kayaks (Prowler/Trident) are supposed to be a perfect balance of both. I've paddled a Tarpon and own a Stealth. Sometimes I wish mine was a little faster and had more glide but honestly I'd have a really hard time giving up the storage I have on that thing. Especially the bait tank. Whatever I'm using goes in there be it eels,sandworms or frozen bait. Or when I'm not fishing bait my anchor goes in there or a tackle case or whatever. It's very convenient....So the real reason I want you to go for the Prowler is so I can paddle it around next time I see you. Wink......................one more thing.............I doubt very seriously that the rod pod is bothersome. I just can't see how it could be . I don't know about you but my knees are not locked out while paddling and that's the only way possible that I can see that your legs would come in contact with it. Give it a paddle and let me know.

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:50 pm

LOL yeah, I see your point about the rod pod. Not sure what the deal is. I'm on a mini vacation starting Thursday. Heading to my aunts house in NH. She live on a lake that is twice the size of Pachaug. We're taken the boat and the two yaks. I'll get more experience with boat wake there. When I get back, I'm going to go through stuff and put a bunch of crap up for sale. Biggest item will be the 15hp kicker off the 21. I should be able to get a couple to three bills for it. Soon as I test it, I'll let ya know how it is. Hey, how come you didn't ask e to try out the Coleman at the yak-a-together???? Laughing Oh I know, you didn't think you were "cool" enough to be seen on it. I understand. LMAO

Thanks for your help. Time to hit the river. Still going after that carp on a fly! Very Happy

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:31 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links