I just moved to CT 2 yrs ago, but just started fishing this spring for Stripers...had some luck catching stripers from shore so far from the Ct river and one from the sound

I have only caught Stripers on sandworms so far, the past 2 weekends I have been using sandworms and chunk bunker/squid but have had no luck, have tried multiple spots including the spots I first caught fish at but am not catching any do get a couple bites but assuming they are smaller fish and not stripers....

what am I doing wrong it sounds like there are plenty of Stripers here now to be cathing them???

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Don't know if you are doing much wrong. A lot depends on when and where you are fishing. Soaking worms, eels or chunking usually works best, but is not limited to, the evenings or night. As of Saturday the fish were still pretty dispersed in the lower CT River, though 'Lung and 'Slinger seem to be dialed in further north. Below the Derby dam on the Housy has been producing some really nice fish at night. You should also keep some 7" pearl sluggos (CT River), some plastic swimbaits and a few surface plugs handy if a decent school moves in. If I'm shorebound and not hiking far I like to have a rod to soak and a casting setup. Check out reports from places like Ct-outfitters, Fishing Factory 3, and River Run, as well as places like CTFishfinders. I also love On The Water magazine and their website. Over the years I gained tons of useful knowledge as well as fished many of the places featured. There is SO much more info, and I'm sure lots of guys will ad more. However, once you hook into that first big fish, addiction can be instantaneous. I'm fortunate to have an understanding wife.

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:26 pm

I have been fishing about 2-3 hrs before and after high tide whatever time of day that is sometimes around daybreak, sometimes middle of day sometimes in evening, the few i caught were middle of the day and sunset

This weekend I was fishing in a harbor in the sound there was a ton of surface activity unsure if they were stripers, dont know how to tell between them and other fish surface feeding?

I did not have any surface lures, what surface plugs do you recommend beginning out? I had a couple bites, they would either steal my worm or just hit once and then leave it

The other times i have been fishing the lower ct river from haddam to saybrook but no bites at all.....

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:43 pm

goose0304

This weekend I was fishing in a harbor in the sound there was a ton of surface activity unsure if they were stripers, dont know how to tell between them and other fish surface feeding?

I'll guess what you see for activity is probably bait running from bigger fish. Try throwing live eels from shore up current and let em drift back. See if that works out for you.....Good luck....

Posted Tue May 01, 2012 3:30 pm

So this weekend I fished Sat, Sun and Mon mouth of CT river with chunk bunker, squid, and bloodworms. I caught 1 eel.

The gentlemen next to me did catch a 21" and 15" striper and today out of 6 fisherman and about 3-4 hours only 1 30" striper caught.

Posted Mon May 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Probably saw you out there Sunday. I was running around in my little Gemma Rose. I only caught a few schoolies.

Posted Mon May 07, 2012 4:19 pm

May 1st through May 6th, we were catching stripers in the Norwalk harbor on sand worms. No keepers but had really good luck at about the 2 hour mark before and after high/low tide. Caught a couple that were in the 20-inch range. Around dusk, the eels started to get hungry each night. May 7th and 8th not a bite was to be had. No eels, no stripers. Not even crabs nibbled at the bait. Could be due to the front that came in.

Posted Tue May 08, 2012 12:08 pm

I caught 2 schoolies today on ct river. First time caught something other than eels in a month. Had something tugging my line, would steal my sand worm, im guessing white perch? What size hook do you need for perch? I went down to a 4/0 but still got tug, tug, tug tried setting hook and always got 1/2 eaten worm on end of hook, how do i catch whatever was tugging?

Posted Sat May 19, 2012 12:38 pm

I caught 2 schoolies today on ct river. First time caught something other than eels in a month. Had something tugging my line, would steal my sand worm, im guessing white perch? What size hook do you need for perch? I went down to a 4/0 but still got tug, tug, tug tried setting hook and always got 1/2 eaten worm on end of hook, how do i catch whatever was tugging?

Posted Sat May 19, 2012 8:47 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links