0%  [ 0 ]
brown
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
green
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

there are tons of choices out there for color in fishing lines and i was wondering if anyone is using the brown braid. A lot of lakes in this area are coffee colored an i thought it may be a better match to use brown than the greens that are everywhere. Any thoughts???

Posted Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:58 pm

I always use a flourocarbon leader so I don't consider the line color an issue.

Posted Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Ditto on what Lung said. But I am starting to revert back to using mono for most of the fishing I do. In some applications braid is more trouble than it's worth in my opinion not to mention the fact that it has become very expensive.

Posted Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:51 am

Only use braid when casting into dense surface cover, such as lilly pads. I stick to green to blend in with the cover.

Posted Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:32 am

Some thoughts on color:

What color is seen depends primarily on weather, water color, and depth. Weather can give more or less light, water color gives a backdrop, and depth provides more or less light. So a sunny day gives more light and your line or lure will show color better. It is harder to see like-colors against each other which is why a brown line may work better in brown water (conversly, you may choose a brightly-colored lure here). And there is less light at depth. Your line is one color at the surface and another at depth. The same goes for your lure. Something that is fire-engine red in your hand can look dirt-brown at the bottom of a lake.

For myself, this is too much thinking for an activity I like to just enjoy. If I had a different spool and line for every situation I'd be broke. I use clear mono or sometimes flouro in almost any situation. I think clear kind of equalizes the factors. After this I like green and I do have one reel with green braid; it works great. I should think brown would work just as well most of the time; they are both a drab color. And my lure choice is as follows: Gold in Sun, Silver in Clouds, and Colors in Color (algae, silt, etc.).

Posted Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:20 am

Like 'lung and Carp I run either fluoro or mono leaders, so line color doesn't matter to the fish. I, on the other hand, go for the high viz yellows, greens or other colors that stand out and are easy for me to see my line. I do have reels loaded with mono or fluoro as well. In the salt water I like the High-Seas Black Widow in either a 12 or 16lb. test. It's a red/deep red blend that disappears in the water and is pretty cheap.

Posted Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:05 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links