Hello Everyone!
Just joined today and I am looking forward to the wealth of information.
I recently moved back to CT after 10 years in SC. Obviously, I love to fish. Just thinking about fishing in CT again and I have lots of questions.
I live in Cheshire, don't have a boat so its shore fishing for me. I use a spin rod. No fly fishing for me. Are there any decent places within 30-45 minutes of Cheshire where I could spend an enjoyable day fishing? Largemouth, Smallmouth and trout are my favorites.
I'm just thinking ahead to the spring!
Great to be here!
Thanks!
Mrjjv

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:41 am

Welcome to the site Mrjvv.
Mill River is stocked with trout. Runs along Rt.10 into Hamden. Also trout and bass in Black Pond in Middlefield, just off I-691.

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:52 am

Yep, hit the Mill River ! I,m hittin the trout good there. Keep eye on the signs. Catch and Release certain times of the season !!!!!!!!!!
Gold Thomas Spinners and F4 Rapala !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Can't be of much help in that area mrjjv but welcome to the sire

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Welcome. I'm next door in Meriden. Several nice sites around. Not quite like the salt water or bass in SC, but decent. You've got the stuff mentioned, and are within 45 min. to the upper Housie and West Farmington for great smallmouth and trout, and lots more. Keep an eye out in the spring, or hit me or some of the other guys up for a few sugggestions.

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Welcome back to the area ...add me to your freinds list..im allways heading out when the weather warms up very often theres a open front seat im sure we could hook-up for some fishin time at least its a chance to get off the beach

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Hey Guys!
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I really appreciate it!
Black Pond in Middlefield looks awfully tempting! And I've always heard great things about the Farmington river.
Mrjjv

This is a picture of 1 of 15 stripers I caught in Lake Hartwell, SC one morning. Thats the captain holding up my catch. It's a 56,000 acre man made reservoir in SC and GA. Most ranged in size from 8-12lbs. Catching fresh water stripers! Who would have thought! There have been a few 60lbers + pulled from the lake. In 2008 they had the Bassmasters classic there.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:43 pm

I live in Wallingford, welcome back to CT! ... Mill River as stated earlier and Black Pond (however, Black Pond is a place where you benefit HIGHLY with a boat as the shore gets crowded)..... Also the Coginchaug river over in Durham/Middlefield can be fun (Wadsworth Falls State Park), Muddy river in Wallingford produces good sized fryers (not really a "trophy" stream but good fishing), Wharton Brook pond off exit 13 in Wallingford is a trout park, and lastly my favorite fishing spot (is a bit of a drive) the Salmon River out in Marlborough is a high traffic river but produces trophy fish and fun times.

Hope I helped and enjoy!

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:46 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links