trout are my favorite fish to catch, and i havent seen any recently. i assume that with the heat most lakes either dont have trout left in them or they are sitting down deep,but i need to find a lake where they hold over. i have been to the salmon river but the water level was way down and there were no fish to be found. i also went to the eight mile river twice but the trout there are pretty small, brownies and rainbows the biggest being eight inches. any advice would be greatly appreciated

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:16 pm

you might want to try amos which is a trophy trout lake. Deep is not all that bad when the deepest that lake gets it 30 or so feet. Long pond is deeper in the north end at 60 and has trout and salmon which were stocked in the spring. The catch is very rough, and i have not got bit on a trout in over a month, and it gets harder the longer its warm. I have seen some trout on the shetucket river recently but not got bit. Salt rock park is the last place i had a good run on trout about three weeks ago.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:59 pm

i actually live near long pond and was thinking about taking the yak out there sometime soon hoping it had a deep place for trout, and ive never been to amos but i hear about it all the time. and i havent been able to river fish in the kiyak yet, and the shetucket river sounds like a good place to fly fish

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Cedar Lake in Chester holds over. It is 30 feet, and while having a good run at the bass last week fishing the hole with carolina rigged 10" power worms, I passed a guy who was a fish shy of the limit, with a nice stringer of rainbows.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:07 pm

definetely gonna try cedar lake, but was gonna go to the ct river today until it started downpouring, probably gonna go tommorrow, but are there trout in that river? i doubt there are many but if nothing else i should get some river bass and maybe catfish?

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:53 am

You never know what you'll run into in the river. Trout will be next to impossible unless you're in a cove from a stocked river like salmon cove, and then it'll be luck anyway. Lots of bass and the river is loaded with cats.

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:01 am

actually im gonna stop by the ieght mile river first tommorrow and hopefully the brownies and rainbows underneath the falls are a little bigger than they were earlier in the year. hopefully one or two worth keeping then after a couple couple hours there ill move to the ct river and fly fish for bass, then maybe throw a worm to the bottom in the middle of the river and pick up a couple keeper catfish. thanks for the advice guys

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:05 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links